4/5 Basil Leafs
½ a Scamorza Cheese (smoked is best)
1 Red Onion
400 grams of Chopped Tomatoes (tinned) *recommend the Cirio version
400 Grams Cherry Vine Tomatoes
3 Garlic Cloves
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
28 Grams Coriander
Salt and Pepper
Difficulty: Intermediate | Serves (3-4)
- In a cooking pot heat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil and place both finely sliced garlic and diced onions. Allow to cook until onions have softened then input halved cherry tomatoes, 10 mL water and leave to simmer for 20 minutes covered then add in the tinned tomatoes and chopped coriander for a further 5 minutes (without forgetting to add salt/pepper to taste
- Meanwhile slice the Aubergines lengthways with a thickness of approx. 0.5-1 cm)
- Once sliced, get a large pan and drizzle Olive oil onto it. Put on the Aubergines once the oil is hot and then remember to flip them occasionally (they will appear to drain a lot of the Olive Oil, don’t worry this is normal!)
- Once this is completed, set aside to cool.
- We are now ready to assemble the Parmigiana
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 (200 C)
- Place a few tablespoons of the tomato sauce at the bottom of the baking tray, followed by a layer of eggplant then grated parmesan and smoked scamorza cheese and finally again tomato sauce again. Continue with this sequence until the final layer is tomato sauce with grated cheeses and breadcrumbs (I prefer to use dried onion and sage stuffing mix)
- Once completed place in oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool before serving.